Chef A's chick pea and spinach soup
The soup calls for a sprinkling of Aleppo pepper. I’ve never heard of this spice before, but I did a little research and it’s a dried, granulated spice made from Aleppo peppers that is usually produced in Syria. According to gourmetsleuth.com, if you don’t have Aleppo pepper you can substitute a mixture of 4 parts sweet paprika and 1 part cayenne pepper.
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 can chick peas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes (mixed with italian seasoning)
- 1 potato (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 tsp aleppo pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- basil and parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- Sautee the diced onion in olive oil for 3-4 minutes
- Add the garlic to the onions and sautee for 30 seconds
- Add the can of chick peas to the pot along with the diced tomatoes and potato
- Add the aleppo pepper and the chicken (or vegetable) stock to the vegetables
- Let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Add the spinach about 2-3 minutes before you're ready to serve the soup, stir the spinach into the soup so that it wilts
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Ladle the soup into a bowl and add some fresh basil and parmesan cheese for garnish, enjoy!
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.