Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: Several servings
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 – 3 cups unrefined sweetener, such as coconut sugar, unrefined cane sugar, or maple syrup (I use the low amount for a dark chocolate taste)
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- Dash unrefined salt
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (use gluten-free, if needed)
- In a medium pot, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down the heat immediately to keep at a low simmer.
- Whisk the cocoa powder into the simmering mixture thoroughly. Then whisk in the salt and the honey.
- Once the mixture is lump-free and thickened, and the sugar is completely dissolved, take off of the heat and add the vanilla extract. Cool. Serve warm, if desired, or keep refrigerated in jars or a squeeze bottle.
Related on MNN:
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.