Fair trade facts
- A fair price must have been paid for the product from its producer
- Fair wages must be paid to the workers (fair wage meaning something that a family in that area can live on)
- Working conditions must be safe
- Child labor is strictly prohibited
- Money made from the products get reinvested back in the community
- Farmers must use sustainable farming
- No harmful chemicals and pesticides can be used in the farming (this protects both the earth and the workers)
- Cocoa and chocolate
- Fresh fruit
These are the facts about fair trade certification. For more details, visit the TransFair USA website’s FAQ.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.