Homemade holiday food gifts: Cranberry bread
- 2 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ c sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 c fresh orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ c coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1¼ c cranberries, fresh is best but frozen works
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
Grease or use non-stick spray on an 8 x 4½ x 3 inch loaf pan.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
Mix in the orange juice, eggs and melted butter until all together, but do not overmix.
Fold in the walnuts, cranberries and orange zest carefully.
Pour into pan and bake on center rack for 45 to 50 minutes, or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove.
Allow to cool completely then wrap and store for a day or two before serving or giving away.
- One cup of whole wheat flour can be substituted for the all-purpose flour.
- Breads like this can be made weeks beforehand and frozen. Wrap the bread in plastic wrap and then in foil before putting in the freezer.
- I went through several cranberry bread recipes to see if spices like cinnamon or nutmeg would be good additions, but it seems like cranberry bread is most often made without the addition of spices, and almost always made with orange juice.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.