We'll be carving pumpkins this weekend. After we scoop out the insides, we'll roast the seeds for a healthy treat. If you've never roasted pumpkin seeds before, follow these easy steps.
- Separate the pumpkin seeds from the pulp while it's all still wet. Once the pulp and the seeds dry, it's more difficult to separate them.
- Rinse the pumpkin seeds under cold water to remove any remaining pulp stuck to them.
- Toss the seeds in a small amount of olive oil or other healthy oil (like canola).
- Sprinkle with salt or other seasonings (see suggestions below).
- Bake at 325° F for 25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- 1/4 tsp salt, 1/16 tsp garlic salt, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce for each cup of seeds
- 1 tablespoon of seafood season (like Old Bay) for each cup of seeds
- 1/8 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for each cup of seeds
- Tabasco sauce and salt — adjust to your taste
- Italian seasonings, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper — adjust to your taste
- Pumpkin pie seasoning — adjust to your taste
Do you have a mixture of seasonings or spices that you use when roasting pumpkin seeds? Share it in the comments!