Kathleen Merrigan leaving the USDA
- Merrigan was part of the Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Initiative and helped create Farm to School Tactical Teams.
- She highlighted the importance of farmers markets, supported them and praised their innovations.
- She took to social media to spread the word about local foods, hosting a Local Foods Twitter Chat.
- Under Merrigan, $50 million was set aside from the 2008 farm bill for the 2009 Organic Farm Initiative.
- Time named her one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2010, partly because of her support for organic farming.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.