Here’s a side dish that I make frequently for my family that they all love. My boys ask me to make “those things that are better than french fries” all the time. Like all recipes that use basic ingredients, this can be made with all organic ingredients or not. It’s up to you.
Potatoes fall as #12 on The Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen
foods that they believe should always be bought organic, so you may want to use organic potatoes. Keep the rest of the ingredients conventional if your food budget doesn’t allow you to buy everything organic.
· 4 medium potatoes – Russets work well
· 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
· ¾ tsp salt
· ¼ tsp garlic powder
· ¼ tsp paprika
· 1/8 tsp pepper
· 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F
2. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray*
3. Wash potatoes and peel (or don’t peel – my boys want them peeled)
4. Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes
5. Toss cubed potatoes with olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder, paprika and pepper.
6. Spread in single layer on baking sheet.
7. Roast in oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until crispy on outside but soft inside.
I really like this recipe because it’s a great accompaniment to many dishes, it’s much healthier than any bag of frozen french fries could ever be, and it’s always a hit with my family. Everyone needs a handful of recipes like this in their cookbook.
* A note about non-stick spray. First of all, it will ruin your baking sheet. It bakes onto the sheet and will leave it forever looking dirty even after it has been washed. I keep one sheet that I use when I need to use non-stick on it, and I just accept the fact that that sheet is going to look nasty. It’s clean. It’s usable. But it’s not pretty.
Secondly, there are organic versions of non-stick spray. You may want to check them out.