The good people of Little Green Pouch asked if I’d like to try out their great product, and I was glad to do so. You know the disposable food and drink pouches so popular right now? As nice as they are, they aren’t very eco-friendly, considering that you have to throw them away after every use. One kid could easily go through several plastic pouches in a week, and that’s why I love this eco-friendly version! Plus, kids certainly seem to love sipping and slurping from these little pouches, which can be easily filled with a wide variety of nourishing food purees.
- These reusable pouches are made with BPA-free, PVC-free, and phthalate-free plastic, and are surprisingly durable.
- They can withstand going through the dishwasher.
- They are freezable, which is perfect for those who want to make large batches of baby/toddler food and have them on hand.
- They are suitable for use by a wide range of ages.
- They cut down on unnecessary trash.
- You can make whatever nutritious food you want to go into the pouch! You will no longer be stuck with whatever food or drink is sold in a pouch. This is great for those with allergies as well.
- They can save you money, as the disposable pouches can be quite expensive.
- You have to make the food to put into the pouch. While this is an advantage for quality control, you do have to do a little work.
- You have to spend a little time cleaning out the corners (though this is minimal with a simple cleaning brush).
- The pouch is still made of plastic. Some may choose glass or stainless steel containers instead.
Ideas for what can go in the pouches:
- Any favorite smoothie. Try out one of the following: Strawberry Banana, Carrot Apple, Peanut Butter Banana or Mango Banana.
- Applesauce or pearsauce
- Yogurt (sweetened with a little jam, maple syrup, and/or cinnamon)
- A wide variety of real food purees. Just check out this beautiful list here.
Related on MNN:
- Eco-friendly durable glass containers for lunches
- How to green your lunches: Top 5 tips
- 10 eco-friendly food trucks