Make the most of the farmers market's last week
- Buy a whole bunch of apples and make applesauce to can or freeze. Here's an easy recipe for applesauce done in the slow cooker that freezes well.
- Buy a few bunches of broccoli or a favorite vegetable that your family likes, blanch it, and freeze for a holiday dinner or any old time.
- Stock up on potatoes, garlic and onions — all root vegetables that will keep for a while. To extend their life, store them in as cool a place as possible where moisture won't get trapped (but not in the refrigerator).
- Buy enough local honey to get you through the winter.
- Buy a few weeks' worth of eggs instead of just the amount you would buy for one week.
- If your market has a meat vendor, buy as much as you can afford and your freezer will hold.
- Buy pumpkins, store for a few weeks, and make your Thanksgiving pumpkin pies from them.
- Properly stored cheese will keep for weeks. If you're entertaining for the holidays, buy a block or two for your cheese tray.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.