Participate in World Fair Trade Day your way
- Join in the fair trade coffee break in your own home. It may not count for the official tally, but using fair trade coffee as your every day coffee in your own kitchen is an effective and inexpensive way to support fair trade. Fair trade coffee is one of the most affordable fair trade products.
- If you’re out for coffee, purchase the fair trade option. If the coffee shop doesn’t have one, ask the manager to start carrying fair trade coffee and tea products.
- Bake it Forward. Bake some goodies made with fair trade chocolate and give them away. You can get a post card to print out to attach to your fair trade goodies from the Bake it Forward website.
- Make the wine you drink this Saturday night a fair trade wine. Try Live-a-Little Really Ravishing Red, try one of our Lifestyle blogger Siel’s recommendations, or ask for a recommendation at your wine store.
- If wine is not your thing, try the first fair trade beer Peak Organic Brewing Company’s Espresso Amber Ale.
- Pick up a container of Ben & Jerry’s Fair Trade Chocolate Macadamia ice cream and indulge a little.
- Pick up a book about fair trade and learn some more about it. Try Fair Trade: A Beginner’s Guide or Brewing Justice: Fair Trade Coffee, Sustainability, and Survival (a book that looks at all sides of fair trade and finds some of them wanting).
- If you don’t want to go out and buy a book, read about fair trade online at Fair Trade Federation or Transfair USA.
- Go to a grocery store with a good selection of natural and organic foods and hunt down the candy isle. Choose a fair trade certified candy bar and enjoy. Go crazy and buy two. I recommend Divine.
We’re not only celebrating World Fair Trade Day this weekend, we’re also celebrating Mother’s Day. Make mom a basket full of fair trade goodies – coffee, teas, cocoas, wine, and chocolates. Don’t forget the fair trade flowers.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.