Picnic for the Planet on Earth Day
- Have everyone bring reusable plates, cups, utensils and napkins. Keep the disposables to the barest minimum.
- Include local food in your picnic. The Picnic for the Planet site has several chefs’ recipes for ideas. I think this recipe for Roasted Asparagus, Mushroom, Leek, and Chevre Frittata is one that is appropriate for this time of the year in most regions. Cold frittatas are yummy.
- Provide a receptacle for recyclables that someone will take home and make sure they get to the right place. Don’t count on the park doing your recycling for you. Even if it has a can for recycling, many people throw both trash and recyclables in those cans, and often everything in them gets thrown in the trash.
- Bring an assortment of Frisbees, footballs, and other things that can get people up and moving after the picnic so everyone doesn’t just eat and leave.
- Leave your picnic spot in better shape than when you got there. Don’t just clean up your own trash. Have everyone spend a few minutes walking around the picnic spot to clean up trash that others have left behind.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.