Seasonal recipe: Apple cranberry sauce
- 4 pds Molly Delicious apples (or similar sweet apple)
- 1½ c fresh cranberries (can use frozen)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ c white sugar
- ¼ c brown sugar
- ¼ c water
- ½ tsp salt
Peel, core, and roughly chop the apples.
Combine chopped apples with the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Mix well.
Cook on low for 6 hours or until apples and cranberries are very mushy.
Mash with a potato masher, push through a sieve, or use a food mill to turn it into the consistency you want.
Serve warm or cold.
- Feel free to start with the least amount of sugar you want. You can always add sugar towards the end if you taste it and think it needs more. As long as the mixture is still hot, the sugar will melt into it.
- This recipe could easily be doubled and most likely would need to be to serve it for more than 6 people.
- Serve with turkey, chicken, or pork dinners or eat by itself as a snack or breakfast.
- This would make a great Thanksgiving side dish and can be made several days ahead of time. You could even make it now, freeze it, and take out two days before Thanksgiving to thaw.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.