Seasonal recipe: Plum clafoutis
- 1 lb black or red plums, pitted and cut into eighths (I used 16 small plums)
- 2 tablespoons Armagnac or other brandy
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk (I only had 1% so I used 3/4 cup 1% milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract (didn’t have it, so I omitted it altogether)
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400ºF with rack in middle. Butter or spray non-stick in a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Toss plums with Armagnac and 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl and let macerate 15 minutes. Transfer plums to baking dish with a slotted spoon and pour juices into a blender. Add eggs to blender with milk, butter, flour, salt, extracts, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar and blend just until combined. Pour over plums.
- Bake until puffed and just set in center, about 35 minutes. Cool 15 minutes, then dust with confectioners sugar.
Have you ever made a clafoutis? What type of fruit do you put in yours?
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.