Seasonal recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Salad
- One whole uncooked chicken, rinsed
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon
- Minced garlic (jarred works well)
- One onion, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Fill a 6-quart slow cooker with about an inch and a half of water. Add chicken bouillon (alternately, you could use chicken broth instead of water and bouillon)
- Rub the chicken with the garlic, chopped onions, salt & pepper — try to get some under the skin and inside the cavity.
- Place the chicken in the slower cooker, add any extra onion or garlic to the pot. Close the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the juices of the chicken are no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and pull off all meat, light and dark, as soon as the chicken is cool enough to handle. Shred the chicken between two forks (the warmer the chicken is, the easier it will be to shred.
- Add the mayonnaise to the chicken, just enough to coat all the chicken. Add some finely diced onion and celery. Then salt and pepper it to taste.
- Serve on toast, rolls, tortillas with tomato or lettuce, stuffed inside a hallowed-out tomato or pepper, rolled inside lettuce leaves, or simply by itself.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.