Seasonal recipes: 5 for napa cabbage
A reader contacted me on Twitter and asked what she should do with napa cabbage. She had received a huge head of the crispy greens in her CSA box, and needed some inspiration. I gave her a couple of quick tips on Twitter — add to soup or use it like lettuce to make a wrap — and I told her I’d do a “5 for” post for napa cabbage recipes.
- Napa Cabbage Salad – A crunchy salad that adds green onions, almonds, sesame seeds and ramen noodles to the cabbage. An Asian-style dressing gets added at the last minute to keep the crunch.
- Mushroom Stir-Fry – Napa cabbage works well in stir-fry because it stays crisp and the edges caramelize a bit. This stir-fry recipe calls for a pound of napa cabbage as well as several others vegetables to be added to mounds of earthy mushrooms.
- Cedar-planked Halibut Tacos with Citrus Slaw – Napa cabbage is the base of the slaw that tops these fish tacos.
- Thai Grilled Chicken & Broccoli on Napa Cabbage – Chicken marinated in a homemade Asian-style marinade are grilled kabob-style with broccoli and scallions. The grilled chicken and vegetables are placed on top a cabbage salad and garnished with more fresh vegetables.
- Rustic Cabbage Soup – This soup recipe calls for regular cabbage, but napa cabbage could certainly be substituted. If it’s getting chilly in your region, this soup — which is made with beans to make it extra hearty and healthy — will warm you up.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.