- 3 c cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk or butter)
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c milk (I use 1%)
- 1/4 c butter (softened)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- Beat sweet potatoes, milk, butter, eggs, salt and vanilla until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar, pecans and flour; cut in butter until crumbly – sprinkle over potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
- I make the casserole the day before Thanksgiving, take it out of the refrigerator about an hour before the Turkey is done to bring it to room temperature, then bake it in the oven right after the turkey comes out. It bakes while the turkey is sitting and being carved, and it’s ready just about when it’s time to sit down to dinner.
- Canned sweet potatoes can be used, but fresh are much better.
- You can roast or boil the sweet potatoes until soft. Roasting will give them an even sweeter flavor, but boiling them works well, too.
Image: Natalie Maynor
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.