Secretly switch your family to whole wheat
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk
- 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour *
- 2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips
- coarse sparkling sugar, for topping
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Lightly grease (or line with muffin cups, and grease the muffin cups) a standard-size muffin pan.
Beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, then stir in the milk.
Mix in the flour, then the chocolate chips.
Spoon the batter into the muffin cups; they’ll be quite full.
Sprinkle each muffin with a little coarse sugar.
Bake the muffins for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out without crumbs clinging to it (a little chocolate is OK!).
- I rarely say this about chocolate, but I think these muffins could have used fewer chocolate chips. I’m sure my boys would not agree.
- I used almost all organic ingredients except the vanilla and the eggs, although the eggs were local, truly free-range eggs. There might have been a bit more sugar than I would have liked, but the quality of all the ingredients was high.
I’m going to try using the flour to make pizza crust next.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.