First of all, a little update on how Weight Watchers is going. At my second weigh in, I was amazed to find I had lost five pounds, bringing my weight loss total to 8 ¼ pounds. Or, as my Weight Watchers leader Martha likes to put it, 33 sticks of butter. It really does help to visualize it that way. I’ll be giving you my Weight Watchers update each Friday at the beginning of the weekend reads. It will help keep me motivated if I know I have to all of you what I lost (or gained).
And now for something that could be a little counterproductive to my weight loss goals if I let it. This Sunday, January 23, 2011 is National Pie Day. Since those in the know predicted that one of the biggest food trends of the year will be pie, I thought I’d dedicate this edition of weekend reads to pie.
- In Brooklyn, NY, the Growing Chefs organization that “connects people to food, from the soil to the kitchen” will be holding their 4th annual pie contest this Sunday. It looks like a great organization to support so if you’re in the Brooklyn area, go get yourself some pie.
- The Los Angeles Times declares that pies are hot and says they are replacing wedding cakes at some weddings.
- A Huffington Post writer claims she has the best organic apple pie recipe in the world and that it’s easy enough for beginners. The piece was written a couple of years ago, but recipes don’t expire, right?
- Chiff.com offers a Baker’s Dozen Ways to Celebrate National Pie Day this year.
- If you’re in the South Jersey region, stop by The Sweet Life Bakery in Vineland where they are making Chocolate Cream, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Banana Cream, Coconut Custard, Local Strawberry Crumb, Apple Crumb, Key Lime, Lemon Meringue, Pecan, Cranberry Almond pies in honor of the National Pie Day and donating 25 percent of their profits today and tomorrow to the Community Garden at the Boys and Girls Club in town.
Enjoy your weekend!
Image: Matt Callow
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.