Native to the rain forests of Central America, monstera deliciosa looks more like an ear of corn than a fruit. To get to its pineapple-like flesh, the scaly exterior must be flaked off and delicately prepared. Interestingly, this fruit takes as long as a year to ripen and to be safe enough to eat — it can be toxic if unripe. In fact, all parts of Monstera deliciosa are poisonous except the ripe fruits.
According to the National Tropical Botanical Garden, the ripe fruit tastes like a combination of banana, pineapple and mango.