Originating in Spain, escalivar is a verb and an adjective, connoting the dance of fire-roasting vegetables over hot coals. A delicious alternative to a veggie platter, escalivada can be served on French bread or speared with a fork.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green Anaheim peppers
- 1.5 lb. Asparagus
- 1 lb. large button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Light grill.
- Stem and slice the bottoms off the tips of the peppers and mushrooms. Remove seeds from peppers.
- Place the vegetables directly onto the grill over medium-high heat. Flip and rotate vegetables every 5 minutes. Remove from heat as they blacken, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut vegetables into long strips.
- Sprinkle with salt and add olive oil. Serve at room temperature.