Grilled Veggie Pizza
Combining fire-roasted vegetables with lightly toasted focaccia bread turns a crowd-pleasing dish into a Mediterranean-style classic.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total cooking time: 2 hours
- 1 large white onion, halved
- 1.5 lb. of vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
- 1 head of garlic, top removed
- 1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, divided in two portions
- 6 ounces of soft goat cheese
- Dried herbs: any combination of rosemary, oregano, thyme
- 9 x 12 inch sheet of pre-made focaccia bread often sold in supermarkets.
- Light grill.
- In a roasting pan, combine the halved onions, tomatoes and garlic. Spoon olive oil over assembled vegetables. Season with herbs and coarse salt. Cover and cook over a low heat for 1.5 hours. Reduce until vegetables are caramelized. Remove from grill.
- Slice the vegetables into coarse chunks. Scoop the garlic from the head. Set aside.
- Give focaccio a light brushing of olive oil on the bottom crust.
- Top with goat cheese and grilled vegetables. Cover grill and toast lightly over dying embers. Serve warm.