Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 to 6 palm- to hand-sized cactus pads
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 1 pickled jalapeno pepper, diced and deseeded
- 1 avocado, halved and cubed
- 1 lime, juiced
Using a knife, carefully remove hand-sized pads from the cactus plant.
Trim the top and the edges, being careful to remove spurs.
Using a serrated bread knife, scrape surface of nopales to remove thorns. Cut into half-inch sections.
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add salt. Add nopales strips and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, dunk in cold water and let cool.
Combine remaining ingredients in a salad bowl. Add nopales. Mix well.
Serve at room temperature.