Adapted from Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook
This wholesome one-dish meal also makes a satisfying vegetarian entrée. Serves 6.
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (optional)
- 1 bottle Annie’s Naturals Teriyaki Marinade
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large Italian eggplant, unpeeled and diced
- 3 cups sliced shiitake-mushroom caps
- 8 oz. soba noodles (10 oz. for veggie version)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp. toasted-sesame oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- ¾ cup roasted, salted cashews or peanuts
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
Total time: 40 min
If using chicken breasts, place them and most of the marinade in a resealable plastic bag; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove chicken from the marinade and grill for 5 minutes. Turn and cook until done, about 5 more minutes. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil.
Meanwhile, heat the canola oil on medium-high in a large skillet. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the eggplant and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes longer.
Cook soba noodles in boiling water according to the package directions. Drain the noodles, then return them to the pot. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil, tossing to combine.
Add the eggplant mixture to the noodles and stir to combine. Transfer the noodle mixture to a large platter.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-size chunks and scatter them over the noodles. Sprinkle scallions, basil, and nuts on top. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the chicken, or serve it on the side.
Story by Christy Harrison. This article originally appeared in Plenty in June 2007. This story was added to MNN.com in June 2009.