Do you keep flatbread, also known as Naan, in the house regularly? I buy storemade flatbread in bulk, and keep it in the freezer. Flatbreads are a blank canvas. You can put almost anything on them, throw them in the oven on a pizza stone, and make a meal very quickly.
I usually pre-heat my oven to 400 degrees F, and while it’s heating up, I take a look at what needs to be used up in the refrigerator as well as what fruits or vegetables are just about past their prime. It’s amazing the combinations you can come up with. My absolute favorite combination is blue cheese, caramelized onion, aged balsamic and whatever else might go with it. Sometimes that’s pear. Sometimes that’s leftover steak. Sometimes that’s mushrooms. It just depends on what needs to be used up at the time.
You can find many specific recipes for topping Naan online, and they’re great, but you really don’t need a recipe. All of the combinations I've chosen below don't need much preparation except for throwing them on the flatbread. Feel free to change any ingredient you want on these flatbread topping ideas.
I usually brush the flatbread very lightly with olive oil and then put a sprinkling of Kosher salt on before adding other toppings. Depending on the combination, I’ll also add some garlic powder in there, too.
- Blue cheese, caramelized onion, pear and aged balsamic vinegar
- Pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, onion and red bell pepper
- Scrambled eggs, tomato, spinach and cheese of your choice
- Cooked ground meat with taco seasonings or canned chili beans, diced green bell pepper, tomato, onion, cheddar cheese. (Top with salsa and sour cream after it’s cooked.)
- Goat cheese, figs, arugula, and prosciutto
- BBQ chicken, green onion, Jack cheese
- Pumpkin puree, black beans, jalepeno, red onion, sprinkled with cumin and hot sauce
- Pesto, bacon, grape tomatoes, Parmesan cheese
- Bacon, spinach, cheese of your choice, while it’s cooking, fry a couple eggs and add them to the top when it’s done
- Leftover mashed potatoes, bacon, scallions, cheddar cheese (similar to a potato skin)
What would you throw on top of flatbread for a quick meal?
Also on MNN