Several years ago, I shared 10 summer slow cooker recipes because slow cookers are ideal for summer meals; they don’t heat up the kitchen on already hot days. I thought I’d do a follow-up to that piece. This time, I’m choosing all vegetarian dishes – ones that use up the bounty found in backyard gardens and the farmers markets.
If your slow cooker hasn’t seen the kitchen counter since the weather was chilly, pull it back out and try one of these veggie-heavy, summer recipes.
- Slow Cooker Corn and Red Pepper Chowder – Fill your bag at the farmers market with fresh corn, red bell pepper, onion and potatoes, then come home and make this flavorful, chowder in your slow cooker. It uses soy or almond milk, but cow’s milk can easily be substituted if that’s what you prefer.
- Slow Cooker Zucchini Casserole – This side dish uses zucchini, fresh tomatoes and green onion (and I bet some yellow squash could be added into it, also) to create a summer side dish that’s topped with a little cheese toward the end of the cooking cycle.
- Saucy Succotash – Use fresh corn and lima beans instead of the frozen called for in this cheesy, creamy version of succotash.
- Creamy Summer Vegetable Stew – Carrots, corn, zucchini, and tomatoes are joined by rice and chickpeas (for some protein) in this summery stew.
- Crockpot Mexican Stuffed Peppers – Stuffed with refried beans, Mexican rice and cheese, these peppers are topped with sour cream, green onion and cilantro once they’re out of the slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker Brown Rice and Veggie Bowl – You can vary the veggies in this dish. It uses asparagus, but zucchini and squash could be substituted if asparagus isn’t available. The rice cooks for a while first, then the vegetables are added for a while then finally some Feta cheese is melted in at the end.
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Borscht – Use up those beets in this Russian soup recipe that also uses potatoes, onions, fresh dill and cabbage. If you have an immersion blender, you can puree the soup directly in the slow cooker.
- Roasted Vegetables in the Slow Cooker - Roasting vegetables takes very high heat in the oven and really heats up the house. This method roasts them in the slow cooker instead and results in a heap of roasted vegetables that can be used for a variety of dishes.
- Vegetable Parmesan Quinoa in the Slow Cooker – Fresh broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, zucchini and mushrooms sit atop quinoa as it all cooks together for hours.
- Slow Cooker Berry Cobbler – Yes, I know berries aren’t vegetables, but everyone deserves a little dessert, right? This cobbler uses sweet, fresh berries and gets topped with vanilla ice cream when served.
Related on MNN:
- 20 ways to use roasted summer vegetables
- How to make your own oven-dried grape tomatoes
- How to make Summer Pizza
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.