5 lunchbox treats made with fresh figs
My boys are only in their second week of school for the new year, and already they’re looking at me I make the most boring packed lunches in the history of packed lunches. So I’m on the hunt for some different snacks to make things less boring. Figs are in season right now, and I thought I’d start with them.
- Fresh Fig Cake with Buttermilk Glaze – Fresh figs are pureed and added to cake mix so there aren’t any chunks of fig in it. It’s flavored with cinnamon and looks like a delicious cake for fall.
- Cranberry Harvest Muffins – Fresh figs, fresh cranberries and chopped hazelnuts fill these muffins spiced with cinnamon and ginger.
- Fresh Fig Bars – Sweetened with honey, these bars have a whole grain crust made with oats and a filling of fresh figs and lemon.
- Fresh Fig Cookies – Soft, chewy and moist cookies made with figs and nuts.
- Homemade Fig Newtons – When I was a kid, the only time I ever ate a fig was in the famous cookie/cake. This recipe recreates the cookie but uses better ingredients including whole wheat.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.