We’ve been chowing down on the melons around here lately because they’re in season and priced right. Cantaloupe is a favorite, but I’ve never done anything with a cantaloupe except cut it up and serve it fresh.
I started wondering how I could use cantaloupe in a cocktail, and in researching it, I found many creative ways to use this sweet melon. Here are five recipes that I’m saving for future reference.
- Chilled Melon Soup with Ginger and Habanero – This cold, summer soup brings the heat with spices. It’s sort of like a gazpacho with both cantaloupe and watermelon.
- Spiced Cantaloupe Tea Loaf – Here’s something I wouldn’t have thought to use cantaloupe in – a quick bread. The cantaloupe is grated and makes for a very moist, sweet bread.
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Burgers with Cantaloupe Slaw – Another combination I wouldn’t have thought of. Melon and prosciutto are a popular pairing, but adding it to a burger? Intriguing.
- Cantaloupe Jam with Vanilla – This recipe makes a small batch of jam that you can eat right away or preserve so you can have the flavor of cantaloupe in the middle of winter.
- Vodka Cantaloupe Cocktail – Vodka. Lime. Cantaloupe. Ginger ale. Sounds good to me.
Also on MNN
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.