My freezer has so many overripe bananas in it right now, it’s ridiculous. My boys tend to either eat an entire bunch of bananas in one day or ignore them all until they’re past their prime. My mom has been known to show up on my front door with her overripe bananas because she knows I’ll eventually make everyone’s favorite banana bread and give her some.
I am just not in the mood to make banana bread, and I’m also in holiday planning mode. One of my holiday staples is a tray of cookies, brownies and bars for guests who are totally stuffed, but still want a “little something” with their coffee or tea after a meal. It occurred to me that I could put the bananas in my freezer to holiday use.
Here are five recipes for overripe bananas that would make great additions to a holiday dessert tray.
- Chocolate-Crusted Banana Blondies – A chocolate cookie crumb crust lines the bottom of these blondies made with bananas and walnuts.
- Banana Cookies – These are spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves – making these cake-like cookies natural additions to a holiday dessert tray.
- Banana Bars with Butter-Rum Frosting – Topped with rum-flavored frosting and sprinkled with fresh grated nutmeg, these squares seem perfect for a Thanksgiving dessert tray to me.
- Salted Caramel Banana Macarons – Salted caramel anything is usually a big hit, and macarons are trendy right now. These light cookies are filled with a salted caramel banana filling.
- Dark Chocolate and Banana Truffles – A little candy added to the dessert tray never hurts. These truffles, made with simple ingredients, look very impressive and decadent.
Also on MNN
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.