In my last post, I shared how to shell fava beans with step-by-step photos. Now I want to share a couple of recipes using those delicious fava beans. Yesterday at our local farmers market, there was a heaping basket full of fava beans, bright green and as fresh as can be. Looking for new inspiration on how to use these lovely beans, I found the following recipes. The only question is which recipe to try first!
1. Fava Bean and Avocado Bruschetta with Herbs: I like the idea of combining the sweet yet meaty fava bean with avocado (smooth like the bean, but rich).
2. Fettuccine with Fresh Fava Beans and Pancetta: This recipe combines fava beans with rich ingredients, like salty bacon and cream, plus other flavorful ingredients, like bitter greens and garlic. It sounds heavenly.
3. Fava Bean Pasta e Fagioli: For something a little lighter and heavier in the vegetable kingdom, why not combine fava beans with pasta and vegetables in a soup?
4. Sauté of Fresh Fava Beans, Onions, and Fennel: This recipe combines the strong flavors of onions and fennel with the mild fava beans (plus a little pancetta).
5. Fava Bean Soup: This soup is pureed, making a creamy, fava bean-centered soup.
6. Fava Bean and Asparagus over Polenta: A gentle dish perfect for a light lunch.
7. Shrimp, Fava Bean, and Asparagus Salad: For a warm spring meal, put fava beans in a salad for a refreshing treat.
Do you have any favorite ways to serve fava beans? I'd love to hear!
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.