I prefer cooking on Valentine’s Day to going out to a restaurant. In fact last year, I gave you 7 reasons why I cook on Valentine’s Day
. One of the reasons I like to cook on Valentine’s Day is because I enjoy cooking with my husband. He doesn’t get to join me in the kitchen every night, but on Valentine’s Day, we crack open a bottle of red and spend time creating a special meal together.
I’ve been searching the MNN archives for Valentine’s Day dinner inspiration this year, and I’ve created what looks to be a perfect menu to me.
15 Minute Brie and Champagne Fondue
– Using Brie helps to create a smooth, creamy fondue quickly that you can dip crusty French bread, vegetables like broccoli, and fruit like apples in for a decadent first course.
Pear with Port & Stilton Cream Chicken
– The sauce on this chicken is what makes it Valentine’s Day worthy. Port wine, Stilton cheese, heavy cream and a few other ingredients make a quick sauce in the same pan that chicken is sauteed in (making for easier cleanup).
An added bonus to this dish is if you’re cooking for both adults and children, the chicken without the sauce is perfect for kids who aren’t crazy about “stinky cheese.” No need to make a separate dish for them.
Brussels Sprouts in Onion Butter
– Quick and simple, these Brussels sprouts are cooked in chicken broth, drained and then added to onion and garlic that have been sauteed in butter.
Deep Dark Chocolate Tart
– My fellow food blogger Kimi, posted this recipe for this vegan, gluten- and dairy-free tart just last week. It’s perfect for Valentine’s Day with its dark chocolate center and pretty red fresh raspberries on top. You can make the tart a day ahead of time, keep it refrigerated, and top it with berries right before serving.
Classic Champagne Cocktail
– Valentine’s Day calls for a little bubbly, and this cocktail is simple and classic. Plus, you've already popped open a bottle of Chamapgne for the fondue, and you don't want the rest of the bottle to go to waste, do you?
What do you think of my menu? Would you enjoy this Valentine’s Day meal?