Last week my oldest requested tacos for dinner. I usually do ground beef tacos, but we didn’t have any ground beef in the house and it was snowing when he asked. I wasn’t going to go out to the store just for beef. I did have chicken breasts in the freezer. I searched for some slow cooker recipes for chicken taco meat, and I came across an easy variation on several sites – chicken, a packet of taco seasoning and salsa slow cooked together.
I gave it a try, and it was a huge hit. My son ate chicken tacos three days in a row. Instead of using a packet of taco seasoning, I used my own taco seasoning blend. I haven’t bought packets of taco seasoning in years.
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 1 recipe taco seasoning blend
- 16 oz jarred salsa, I used one with medium heat, but you can use a salsa that’s as spicy as your personal tastes want
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts evenly with the taco seasonings.
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Pour salsa over top of the chicken.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Serve as a burrito filling or as meat for tacos.
- This made enough that I froze half of it for another time.
- I served this with soft taco shells, sauteed onions & red pepper, shredded spinach, chopped tomatoes, and shredded cheese.
- The next two days, my son came home from school, reheated the meat and threw it in hard taco shells with shredded cheese and hot banana peppers (he loves those – eats them right out of the jar as a snack sometimes).
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.