Family Day: A day to eat with your children
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) started Family Day – A Day to Eat with Your Children 10 years ago. This year, Family Day will be celebrated on Monday, Sept. 26, 2011.
- 1 pound ground beef (organic or locally raised, grass fed ground beef preferred)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (try this taco seasoning recipe instead of a store bought mix)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 15-ounce bag corn chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Garnish: salsa and sour cream
- Crumble ground beef in a skillet. Add onion and stir well using a wooden spoon. Cook beef mixture over medium heat until no pink remains and onion is tender. Drain.
- Return beef mixture to skillet and add seasoning and water. Stir well and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of 4 plates with corn chips. This is the bottom of the "hat."
- Scoop out seasoned beef and onion mixture with a small ice cream scoop and plate one on each plate. This makes the top of the "hat."
- Divide cheese, lettuce, tomato and olives equally between all 4 servings (Or place these items in bowls and let family members decide at the table what they want to top their hat with.)
- Serve with salsa and sour cream on the side.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.