Happy Hanukkah! Latkes, or potato pancakes, are a traditional dish during the Hanukkah season. This latke recipe comes from Laurie David’s “The Family Dinner.” It uses sweet potatoes instead of the usual white potatoes and adds some mashed cauliflower to up its nutritional value. This recipe comes from Kirstin Uhrenholdt, who created many of the recipes for “The Family Dinner” cookbook.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, about 1 1/2 lbs
- (amount here)(ingredient name here)
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup flour (or corn starch)
- 1 large sweet potato, grated (To get the lacy, crunchy edges, grate the sweet potato lengthwise so you get long strands; for neat round little patties, grate finely instead.)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash Pepper to taste
- Drizzle Vegetable or grape seed oil
Chop up the cauliflower and microwave in a covered bowl without water until easily pierced by a fork. Mash the cauliflower, then toss with the remaining ingredients, except for the oil.
In a large, nonstick skillet, heat a goodly drizzle of the oil over medium-high heat.
Make the pancakes by placing 2 tablespoons of the batter onto the hot skillet, flattening them with the back of the spoon.
Saute until the bottom of the pancakes are nicely browned – between 3 and 5 minutes; flip the pancakes and cook for about 3 minutes longer.
You will probably have to make them in a few batches, so keep the first ones warm in a 200 degree oven, on a cookie rack placed on a cookie sheet.
Serve with tzatziki and cranberry sauce or apple sauce and sour cream.
- To create latkes with lacy crunchy edges, grate the sweet potato lengthwise so you get long strands; for neat round little patties, grate finely instead.
Photo: Kirstin Uhrenholdt
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.