Healthy recipes to celebrate Cinco de Mayo
- Fresh Salsa – A basic salsa recipe using all the traditional ingredients — fresh tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, onion and cilantro. You’ll want to double this one because it will go fast.
- Asparagus Guacamole – Definitely not a traditional guacamole, but asparagus is in season right now, and it makes a delicious substitute. It’s also lower in fat that guacamole made with avocado.
- Stuffed Jalepeno Chiles – These stuffed peppers are baked, not fried, so they are lower in fat, but still satisfying.
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef for Tacos – The perfect choice if you can’t dedicate several hours to cooking up a Mexican feast. Let your slow cooker do work for you. All you have to do is shred the beef when it’s done cooking and add the toppings.
- Grilled King Salmon with Roasted Tomatillo Sauce – Salmon is not what you would normally think of when you think Mexican, but this Mexican-inspired dish uses a traditional sauce that complements the salmon or other varieties of fish very well.
- Fish with Ancho Chile Paste and Cream – Another fish dish with a Mexican-style sauce that uses halibut, fancy rockfish, white seabass or salmon.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.