Creative mom explores how to live a sustainable life with a focus on food.
Holiday appetizer: Prosciutto and Cheese Roll-Ups
Filled with creamy cheese and the surprising bite of radish, these rolls ups are a quick and easy appetizer that guests will love.
Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Before Thanksgiving, I shared the Yellow Squash Salad with Grana Padano
recipe that Mary Ann Esposito demonstrated how to make at an event I attended. It’s a wonderful seasonal salad, and it’s worth considering making for any of your holiday gatherings. Mary Ann demonstrated several recipes that evening, and I have another one of them to share with you.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer for a holiday gathering, these prosciutto roll-ups might do the trick. For the demonstration, Mary Ann used Prosciutto de San Daniele, a ham that’s made in the San Daniele region of Italy and has the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) seal that shows it’s authentic. She also used Montasio cheese, another PDO product. You don’t have to use these exact products to make these roll-ups, but if you can find them, I recommend them.
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup Montasio cheese, grated (Asiago or Parmesan could be substituted)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 radishes, minced
- 8 slices (4 oz) Prosciutto di San Daniele (or other good prosciutto)
- Mix the ricotta with the Montasio, parsley and radishes. Add a pinch of salt.
- On a board, lay one slice of Proscuittuo flat. Place about 1 1/2 tbsp. of the cheese mixture at the short end of the slice and roll into a tight cyclinder. Repeat to make 8 rolls.
- Place rolls on a try, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, place rolls on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut each diagonally into 2 pieces. Serve rolls, cut sides up, on a platter with a bed of radicchio for color.
Makes: 16 appetizers
Also on MNN
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.