Kitchen recycling tip: Broccoli stems
- Make cream of broccoli soup. The base of this soup uses peeled broccoli stems. You don’t need to add the florets in at the end.
- Peel and slice lengthwise to serve raw as crudités. (via Discuss Cooking)
- Shredded broccoli stalks are an excellent in place of cabbage in coleslaw. (via The Kitchn)
- Make broccoli stem pesto.
- Pickle them.
- Cut them into chunks and grill them. (via Chowhound)
- Turn them into baby food.
- Make Szechuan Stalk Stir Fry.
- Save them with other vegetable odds and ends to make vegetable stock.
- Make baked broccoli chips.
What do you do with the stems of broccoli?
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.