These drumsticks are speckled with lemon peel, freshly ground pepper, mustard, and garlic for a delicious flavor. Throw that lemon garlic salt out (it's usually loaded with MSG) and taste the real flavor of lemon and garlic!
Drumsticks are a frugal meat cut, so it’s easy on the budget and it’s a quick main dish too. It takes just a few minutes to throw the marinade together, and then it’s just a matter of sticking it in the oven. A simple and nourishing dish that is really very nice.
Lemon Garlic Drumsticks
Serves 3 (two drumsticks per person)
I’ve skipped the marinating time before and they are still wonderful without it. But they do have a more full flavor if you marinate longer. I’ve brought these twice on a picnic, and they were delicious cold too!
- 6 drumsticks (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Lots of freshly ground pepper
- Zest of one large organic lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- Juice of half the lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine marinade ingredients and mix well. Rinse and pat dry the drumsticks. In a large Ziploc or bowl place drumsticks and pour over marinade. Place in refrigerator, covered and marinate for 2-12 hours.
2. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place drumsticks in a small casserole dish and bake for about 45 to 55 minutes, or until done. The juice should run clear when pierced with a knife.