Make your own tahini
Photo: Robin Shreeves
- 1 cup of raw sesame seeds
- 3-4 tbsp of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread hulled sesame seeds on a baking sheet into a thin layer.
- Toast seeds in the oven for 8 minutes, stirring halfway through. Do not allow seeds to get too brown.
- Place toasted seeds in a food processor and begin to blend. (This could also be done with a mortar and pestle.)
- Add olive oil, a tablespoon at a time until you get the consistency you want – it should be smooth, but not runny.
- Continue to process the paste until it’s very smooth.
- Stir in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.