Mardis Gras menu ideas
- Shrimp or Crawfish Étouffée: This thick, flavorful stew of shellfish and finely diced vegetables “smothered” in spicy broth and served over rice is a standard of Louisiana Cajun cooking.
- Mixed Rice Jambalaya: This shrimp and rice side dish is so hearty, it could be a main dish with all the vegetables, seafood and grains it has in it.
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce: It’s the whiskey sauce that turns this basic bread pudding into something really amazing. It’s not for kids, though; the whiskey is added right at the end, so the sauce is full-strength.
- Bread Machine King Cake: King Cake is a must for a traditional Mardi Gras celebration, but it takes a while to put together because it’s actually a yeast bread. Using the bread machine makes quick work of that step.
- Turkey and Sausage Gumbo: A traditional New Orleans recipe uses the turkey carcass and turkey meat along with smoked sausage to make a huge, crowd-pleasing pot.
- Cajun Breaded Chicken: Family friendly and super tasty, this easy breaded chicken uses Cajun seasoning mixed with flour for dredging the chicken. This added step makes everyday breaded chicken perfect for a Mardi Gras feast.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.