Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 full servings, or 4-6 side servings
- 3 medium-sized oranges(one used in the dressing, the other 2 peeled, diced, and seeded)
- 4 heaping cups arugula, washed and dried
- 2-3 smallish beets
- 2 cups cooked and chilled quinoa (I just make extra one night when serving quinoa as a side dish, and chill for the salad the next day)
- 1/2 cup walnuts and pecans (soaked and dehydrated and/or toasted as directed below)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste, depending on how salty your mustard is)
- Scrub clean the beets and cut off any straggly root ends. Place in a steamer over a couple of inches of simmering water and cover. Small beets can take 20-30 minutes to cook. Large beets can take up to 45 minutes. Cook until a skewer pushes easily into the beets with just a slight resistance. Add more water during the steaming process, if needed. Remove and cool until they can be handled. Then peel with a sharp knife, and cut into thin slices. The slices will cool the rest of the way. They are fine in the salad warm or room temperature.
- In a medium sized saucepan, place the nuts and heat over medium heat. Stir almost constantly until the nuts are lightly browned and fragrant (don’t let them burn!). Remove from pan, and place on a cutting board chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Zest one orange until you get 1 teaspoon, then juice the orange (if you don’t have a simple citric juicer, simply cut in half and squeeze over a cup). Place 1/4 cup of orange juice with the zest in a mason jar with the rest of the dressing ingredients. Shake or stir vigorously until well combine. Check flavors and adjust salt, if needed. (If using very salty mustard, cut salt in half and then taste test, and add more, if needed).
- In a large salad bowl, add the salad ingredients, toss with about half the dressing. Taste test and add more if desired. Serve right away.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.