Recipe: Black Bean and Beef Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 recipe for taco seasonings (see below) or one package of taco seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (or one 15-ounc can)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup water (if you fill the empty tomato paste can twice with water, you’ll get exactly 1 1/2 cups)
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Heat olive oil in large pan and sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes, making sure not to let them burn.
Add ground beef to pan, and brown the beef with the onions and garlic, just until all the pink in the beef has disappeared. Drain excess fat from the pan.
Add taco seasonings, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add corn, beans, tomato paste, and water. Simmer for 20 minutes or longer over med-high heat, stirring frequently.
Serve in individual bowls with sour cream and shredded cheese for toppings.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
li>1/4 teaspoon garlic powder li>1/4 teaspoon onion powder li>1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper li>1/4 teaspoon oregano li>1/2 teaspoon paprika li>1 1/2 teaspoon cumin li>1 teaspoon salt li>1 teaspoon black pepper
- This could easily be a slow cooker recipe. Do steps 1 & 2 on the stovetop, and then add the ground beef mixture to a slow cooker. Put the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker (except for the sour cream and shredded cheese), mix, and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- There is no need to cook the frozen corn before you add it.
- Some of the cooks on Allrecipes substituted ground turkey for the ground beef. Someone used a 16-ounce jar of salsa and omitted the tomato paste and water. I encourage you to read the user comments on Allrecipes to see how this recipe can be switched up to suit your family’s tastes.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.