Recipe: Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic in the slow cooker
- One whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry (I used a 7 1/2 pound chicken)
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped into large pieces
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 3/4 teaspoon dried, divided)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 3/4 teaspoon dried, divided)
- 2 sprigs fresh sage (or 3/4 teaspoon dried, divided)
- 2 springs fresh Italian parsley (or 3/4 teaspoon dried, divided)
- 40 cloves garlic (various versions say to use peeled or unpeeled garlic — I used peeled garlic from a jar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 loaf of French bread (optional)
- Place 1 sprig of each of the herbs and 10 garlic cloves inside the cavity of the chicken (or, if using dried herbs, place 1/4 teaspoon of each inside the cavity).
- Put celery on the bottom of slow cooker. Place chicken on top.
- Add remaining garlic around the chicken and chop the remaining herbs and sprinkle on top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high 4-6 hours (it took my 7 1/2 pound chicken just about 6 hours to cook completely; smaller chickens will take less time) or on low 8-10 hours.
- When done, use garlic to flavor gravy and/or spread on slices of French bread with a knife.
- The garlic spread on the bread is so good. I had to limit myself to two thin slices with garlic spread on them, but I could have eaten an entire loaf of bread like that. (In fact, I think my 11-year-old ate half the loaf.)
- I’ve got a ton of leftovers. I think they’ll be perfect in a pot pie and even in chicken salad.
- I purposely did not make mashed potatoes with this because I'm trying to lose weight and mashed potatoes with gravy are a particular weakness, but mashed potatoes would have been perfect with this chicken.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.