It’s been years since I’ve made any recipe that calls for a can of condensed cream of broccoli or mushroom or other cream of soup. The soups are usually high in sodium and fat, and I decided that I didn’t want to use them. There are some recipes that my family likes, however, that I had to stop making.
Last week, I decided it was time to find a homemade substitute for condensed cream soups to use in cooking – one with ingredients that I feel comfortable with. A Google search came up with many suggestions, After searching through several of them, I altered one a bit from Group Recipes to a substitute for condensed cream of broccoli soup. If any of your Thanksgiving or Christmas recipes calls for a can of cream of... soup, try this substitution.
Later today, I’ll share the recipe with you that I used this soup in – one that I used to serve to company, but I stopped making because of the can of soup in it. I’m happy to be able to make it again.
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ c flour
- ½ tsp Organic Better Than Bouillon chicken base dissolved in ½ c boiling water
- ½ c 1% milk
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 c finally chopped broccoli
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the broccoli and sauté until the broccoli is soft
- Stir in the flour until it’s thick (remember you’re making a substitute for condensed soup so you want thick)
- Add stock dissolved bouillon slowly, stirring until there are no lumps
- Bring to a boil and stir for a few minutes until thickened
- Add milk and the salt & pepper to taste and stir until combined and thick
- Use in a recipe that calls for one 14 ½ oz can of cream of broccoli soup
- This recipe can be altered for other cream of soups. Switch out the broccoli for mushrooms and the chicken base for Better Than Bouillon’s mushroom base, and you have a substitute for condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- I used 1% milk, but using 2% or whole milk would result in a richer taste if you feel it’s missing.
- Do not eat this straight like soup. It’s meant to be a substitute for a can of condensed cream of broccoli soup in a recipe, not actually cream of broccoli soup (although you could probably add more milk and make it into a soup).
- The link to the Better than Bouillon above takes you to the manufacturers page where you can buy it. I bought it at Wegmans for about half the price.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.