Recipe: Great Northern Beans and Peppers
Great Northern Beans and Peppers. (Photo: Robin Shreeves)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup sweet pepper, chopped; I used yellow and orange peppers, but any sweet pepper will do
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can great northern beans, or other white beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- dash ground black pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
Add onion and pepper and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Mix in the beans and all the seasonings. Heat through.
Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve it over toasted bread as kind of a bruschetta/open-faced sandwich type of thing.
- Served it over hot pasta with some Parmesan.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.