You know those grape tomatoes that I oven dried last weekend? I had the idea to use them in hummus. It was a good idea. This has such an Italian taste for a Middle Eastern dish, but it works. I can absolutely imagine this as a spread for a panini with mozzarella cheese and roasted vegetables.
I went with the classic combination of tomatoes, basil and garlic and added them to the basics for hummus. The result was Oven-dried Grape Tomato and Basil Hummus that’s really delicious.
- 15.5-ounce can of chick peas/garbonzo beans
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup oven-dried (or sun-dried) grape tomatoes (other types of dried tomatoes could be substituted)
- 1 tablespoons of chopped, fresh basil
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until creamy smooth. The longer you blend, the smoother it will become.
- Can be served immediately, but it improves after several hours in the refrigerator.
- Go easy on the salt. I used 1/2 teaspoon and realized that if I had used any more, it would have been too salty. I had forgotten that my oven-dried tomatoes were already salted. Start with the 1/4 teaspoon, taste, and if you feel it needs more, add it.