Creative mom explores how to live a sustainable life with a focus on food.
Recipe: Spice mix for olive oil bread dip
Use the spices you already have to make a ready-to-use spice mix to add to olive oil for bread dipping.
Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM
My 12-year-old could make a meal out of bread and olive oil with spices. In fact, he has. Often, when we go to Italian restaurants, he doesn’t order a meal. He picks a couple bites off of everyone else’s plate and fills up on bread and olive oil. We let our waitperson know in advance that this is what he’ll be doing, and we make sure we tip as if he had eaten his own meal.
I serve bread and olive oil with spices frequently at home, too. I bought a spice mix a while back that lasted a very long time, but it finally ran out. Since I’ve been learning lately how to create my own spice mixes using the jarred spices I already have, I thought I’d try my hand at making my own version of this mix.
I found a recipe for a dried spice mix on Recipe Secrets
from Kitchen Witch
that I gave a try. It’s a winner. I changed it just a little (based on what spices I already had) and added to my own olive oil and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. It’s a great combination for dipping crusty Italian bread.
Ingredients for spice mix
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Mix all spices together and store in an air-tight container.
- Place one tablespoon of the dried spice mixture on a plate and mix with 1/4 cup of good olive oil. Add one tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired. Serve with fresh, crusty bread for dipping.
Also on MNN:
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.