Creative mom explores how to live a sustainable life with a focus on food.
Seasonal recipe: Lemon-Blueberry Muffins
Ripe blueberries fresh from the farm fill these easy-to-make muffins that have a touch of lemon, too.
Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM
I took my standard blueberry muffin recipe and fiddled with it a bit. I recently made a pound cake with lemon zest, and I really liked how the subtle lemon brightened up the flavor of the cake. I wondered if it would help brighten up my blueberry muffins, too. It did. I also substituted some of the all-purpose flour for white, whole wheat flour to up the nutrition factor of these muffins just a bit.
I grabbed a pint of blueberries yesterday from a farm market, and this morning I made a dozen of these muffins. They’re delicious. Give these lemon-blueberry muffins a try yourself.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- about 1/2 cup milk (I used 1% milk)
- 1 cup fresh, washed blueberries
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a dozen muffin cups or line with muffin/cupcake liners.
Combine the flours, sugar, salt, lemon zest and baking powder.
Place vegetable oil into a 1-cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill to the one-cup line.
Mix this with flour mixture until everything is mixed well but don’t over mix.
Fold in the blueberries gently.
Fill muffin cups evenly with the batter.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
- If you don’t have white whole wheat flour, you can use 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Out of season, you could use frozen blueberries in this recipe, but if blueberries are in season, it’s certainly worth it to use the fresh ones.
- Try using other fresh seasonal berries that you think would go well with lemon in this recipe.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.