Last week, my nine-year-old and I were at the Fair Food Farmstand at Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia, and he was picking up all the fruits and vegetables that were unfamiliar to him and smelling them. One of the fruits he picked up was an apricot.
Apricots are small, less-fuzzy peaches, and while we often have peaches in the house when they're in season, I've never bought apricots. There's no specific reason why. I just never have, but I bought some last week at the Fair Food Farmstand. Like most fruits, they're wonderful eaten on their own, but they're great as an ingredient in summer dishes, too.
Here are five apricot recipes that are great for using up the seasonal bounty of the fruit right now.
- Caramelized Apricots with Almond Cream – I halved this recipe and made with some of the apricots I bought. Delicious. This would make a special dessert for company. Make the almond cream earlier in the day, and cook up the apricots while you're allowing dinner to settle.
- Curried Lentil and Apricot Salad with Arugula – Packed with nutritional lentils, vegetables and, of course, apricot, this salad uses apricots when in season, but can also be made with peaches or nectarines later in the summer.
- Breakfast Apricot Crisp – Cook the night before and allow the tartness to mellow overnight, then serve this crisp reheated with a scoop of yogurt on top.
- Apricot Chicken Provencal – Apricots and apricot preserves create a sauce to serve with chicken drumsticks that have been baked with herbs de Provence.
- Blackberry-Apricot Jam – For those that have joined the canning craze, here's a recipe for a jam using summer apricots and blackberries that can be preserved and enjoyed all year long.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.