Summer comes to its official end in a few days, and the fresh, local summer vegetables are getting harder to come by. In place of tables full of tomatoes and corn on the cob, farmers are starting to bring autumn squashes like butternut squash to the market.
The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of this fall vegetables is butternut squash soup, but squash is very versatile. Here are five recipes to use up all that delicious, healthy butternut squash available this time of year. And, because today is Meatless Monday, I’ve chosen all meatless recipes.
- Butternut and Barley Pilaf – Squash and barley are simmered together in chicken or vegetable broth (use vegetable broth for the truly meatless version) and parsley, garlic and lemon round out the flavors. One commenter suggested adding beans to the pilaf to make it a complete meal.
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Mushroom Lasagna – A vegetarian lasagna that uses a sauce of pureed squash and onion instead of the traditional tomato sauce. Great option for anyone allergic to tomatoes but doesn’t want a lasagna made with white sauce.
- Butternut Squash Clafoutis, Frangelico Whipped Cream and Hazelnut Praline Crunch – If you’re looking for a brunch dish to impress this fall, check this recipe out. You’ll need to start the recipe a full day ahead, but this looks like it’s absolutely worth the work.
- Curry Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpeas – An Indian twist is put on nutrition powerhouses butternut squash and chickpeas in this easy recipe that includes a cilantro-yogurt sauce to cool the spiciness.
- Butternut Squash Crumble – You can eat your vegetables for dessert with this crumble that mixes squash and apples. Yum.
What’s your favorite way to use the fall’s bounty of butternut squash?
Also on MNN: Butternut squash soup recipe (including video)
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.