The other night, I used the last of my locally picked strawberries to make frozen daiquiris, and there's maybe one week left to purchase the last of this year's crop. It makes me sad to see the too-short strawberry season end (it's only about six weeks here in New Jersey), but at least there are cherries now.
I'll be cherry-picking with my boys soon, and I'm looking for new ways to use the sweet fruit and make guest-worthy dishes with it. Here are five recipes that have caught my attention that I want to share with you.
- Individual Cherry-Blueberry Trifles – This fancy but easy dessert uses two fresh seasonal fruits. Layered with lady fingers and non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, it's a light, refreshing treat.
- Fresh Cherry Salsa – Fresh cherries are mixed with dried tart cherries and more traditional salsa ingredients to create a dip for chips or a topping for grilled fish or chicken.
- Savory Cherry Compote – Port or red wine is cooked down with sweet cherries, shallots, fresh rosemary and more to accompany pork, chicken or even duck.
- Sweet-and-Sour Cherry Turnovers with Goat Cheese Cream – A breakfast treat, these turnovers made in puff pastry add a creamy goat cheese filling to a cherry mixture.
- Grilled Cheese with Fresh Cherries – This isn't just a grilled cheese sandwich; this is grilled camembert (or brie) with a fresh cherry jam served on toasted baguette slices.